Cloud Migration can be challenging sometimes, especially when an organization is unprepared for it in terms of cost and resource allocation. Although cloud service providers like AWS and Azure offer many affordable services that different types of organizations can utilize to scale up their business processes. However, without proper planning and optimum resource management, instead of cutting costs, organizations will see accelerating costs whilst using cloud-service infrastructures. This is one of the major challenges that organizations face during cloud migration. Therefore, it is advised organizations use cloud optimization to reduce the escalation of costs and effectively manage their resources.
What is Cloud Optimization?
It is the process of reducing costs in cloud resources through effective planning and reducing resource waste. This can be achieved by prioritizing the cloud resources that need more attention rather than spending on unwanted services or those that organizations will require at a later stage. The objective of cloud migration should be to optimize the business performance whilst reducing the cost of operation. Cloud Optimization offers business enterprises the best possible results from cloud migration.
Along with cloud change management, cloud optimization can be used by organizations to effectively utilize their cloud resources. The process of cloud optimization is a continuous process and frequently requires attention. Thus, it is very similar to the quality control and continuous improvement processes used by organizations for producing quality products and services.
Importance of Cloud Optimization
Cloud Optimization allows organizations to save money on migrating their unused infrastructure onto the cloud and maximize their output through a hybrid cloud system. Organizations can assess their existing infrastructure through proper change management and prioritize which applications to migrate first. Resources and costs can be allocated accordingly, and the rest can be saved up for later use.
So, cloud optimization helps organizations yield the rewards of cloud migration sooner and lasts longer. It helps increase the visibility of the business which is one of the most important reasons for cloud migration. Apart from the benefits of reduced operational costs, cloud optimization increases the productivity of the business and generates more revenue. Therefore, organizations that follow a cloud optimization strategy will get more out of their cloud migration than those that don’t.
Cloud Optimization Implementation
Today’s modern organizations use cloud optimization to stay ahead of the rest and to gain maximum benefits from cloud migration. This has led to the creation of a new informed organizational culture that makes decisions based on optimal usage of existing resources. These business enterprises implement some best practices to successfully achieve cloud cost optimization. Ultimately, cloud optimization should involve achieving the best results for the organization rather than just cost savings.
Here are the 5 best practices that organizations should follow to attain cloud optimization:
- Consolidate Idle Resources – To ensure cloud optimization, organizations should first find and identify resources that are no longer attached and those that are idle. This will help them in reducing cloud computing bills for resources that were once used but are not used anymore. Also, consolidating idle resources will help them save money as well as storage space.
- Audit Cloud Costs – Always try and get a full picture of the cloud service provider’s costs and regularly keep track of these cloud costs. Regular audits will help organizations identify costs that can be otherwise avoided or incurred during the later stages of cloud migration.
- Right-sizing Resources – Use right-sizing tools provided by the cloud service platform to maximize the utilization of computing resources. It is one of the best ways to ensure cloud cost optimization.
- Invest in RIs – Business enterprises that invest in reserved instances (RIs) can ensure long-term cloud optimization for their business on the cloud. AWS RIs and Azure Reserved VM Instances can be purchased up front for one or three years in advance.
- Choose Single-Cloud Solution – Investing in multiple cloud service providers and using their resources may look attractive, however, it will reduce the advantages that organizations can get by investing fully in a single cloud service provider. A single-cloud solution will help businesses utilize their resources optimally to attain cloud cost optimization for the organization.
Investing in cloud solutions and migrating onto the cloud is the best approach to cut costs and maximize the output. However, not every organization finds this approach sufficient. Thus, a robust cloud cost optimization strategy is needed to ensure that all their computing resources are utilized properly. The resources that cannot be migrated to the cloud can either be consolidated or used through a hybrid system. Our Azure Migration Services and AWS Migration Services advisors and consultants can help organizations ensure maximum cloud optimization. These experts assist business enterprises to find the best cloud cost optimization strategy and get the best results from their cloud migration.