Cloud Migration has become increasingly necessary for ensuring a successful business enterprise. As a result, modern organizations are becoming more aware of the countless benefits of moving the data, workloads, and applications from their on-premises environment onto a cloud-based one. However, not all organizations follow a fixed path to achieve a successful cloud migration. Although the benefits of cloud migration are the same for all organizations, they have different reasons to migrate from on-premises to a cloud environment.
Thus, organizations that analyze their business requirement and plan their cloud migration strategy before pursuing the actual cloud migration are more successful than those that do not. This article lists some tried and tested best practices that modern business enterprises follow to achieve a successful cloud migration from their on-premises infrastructure.
Advantages of Cloud Migration
A well-planned cloud migration strategy opens limitless possibilities for businesses. They can reduce costs to a large extent and help organizations effectively mitigate risks. Apart from accelerating business growth, migrating infrastructure that used to take up a lot of space on office premises and costs twice as much to maintain is eradicated. Thus, an effective cloud migration strategy prepares the roadmap for efficient cloud migration.
Creating a cloud migration strategy is the first step for cloud migration. Cloud experts can help businesses evaluate their needs and align the cloud migration strategy accordingly. By doing this, organizations can save valuable time and money while migrating their infrastructure onto the cloud. Also, conducting businesses on existing cloud infrastructures like AWS and Azure ensures that organizations have optimum accessibility and security through a centralized cloud system.
Best Practices for Cloud Migration
Once the cloud migration strategy is approved, it is time to choose the techniques for migrating on-premises infrastructures to the cloud. From Lift and Shift cloud migration to Hybrid cloud migration, cloud experts help organizations to select the best cloud migration strategies that suit their business requirements. A formidable cloud migration strategy can be further enhanced by following these below-mentioned best practices for achieving a successful cloud migration.
Here are the five best practices for the successful migration from on-premises to cloud environment:
- Build a Long-term Cloud Migration Model – The cloud migration strategy should include the primary business requirements behind the cloud migration. It should document the changes that will allow businesses to adapt to these changes caused by cloud migration. This adjusting to change due to cloud migration is also known as Cloud Change Management and is an essential factor in determining the positive effects of cloud migration. By creating a long-term cloud migration model, organizations can decide which assets must be migrated onto the cloud first and which can be migrated later. This model also includes training and hiring teams to handle the cloud migration.
- Start with Small Steps – Migrating applications based on priority and testing their performance on the cloud is very important, especially to boost stakeholders’ trust. Organizations can test and measure the application’s performance immediately to earn some quick wins. Once this initial step is completed, they can start with the next step. Starting with small steps helps build confidence about cloud migration in the long run.
- Automate and Leverage Cloud Services – Automation is necessary for digital transformation; therefore, more and more organizations are striving to automate their existing on-premises infrastructures. By leveraging cloud services and using the infrastructure provided by cloud platforms, organizations can automate at a faster rate.
- Monitor Cloud Migration Process – Observing and reporting the cloud migration process ensures that all applications and workloads perform efficiently. Organizations that use data-driven insights through an effective cloud monitoring strategy can achieve cloud optimization.
- Communicate the Developments Frequently – Cloud migration is critical for business growth and involves many entities. Everyone needs to be informed about the latest developments, from the stakeholders to the vendors and business partners to the customers. The cloud migration strategy must also include a communication strategy that allows every member access to information about the cloud migration.
Organizations that follow these best practices for cloud migration and have a structured cloud migration strategy perform better than their competitors. Our expert advisors and consultants of Azure Migration Services and AWS Migration Services help businesses leverage cloud infrastructures with a practical cloud optimization strategy. Thus, ensuring the best possible result from migrating infrastructure from on-premises to the cloud environment.